Friday, February 20, 2009

Use it up: Fun with pudding


One thing I have to remember when it comes to food: Using it up doesn't just apply to leftovers. It also applies to the food in the pantry -- especially the mistakes.

So, the great pudding experiment!

A few weeks ago, I bought a chocolate rice pudding mix from the international market. It was OK, but didn't really have the rich, chocolate flavor we were expecting. So the second envelope of mix sat in the pantry.

Earlier, I'd bought vanilla pudding mix at the grocery. Turns out I screwed up on a couple of fronts: It wasn't the right size for the recipe; and it was sugar free to boot. And since I was too lazy to take it back, it sat on the shelf, too.

While I was looking for something else, a thought occurred to me: Doh! Mix them!

So, I did a parfait in some wine glasses. (presentation is important when correcting mistakes ;) And it was a hit! The vanilla added a bit of richness to the chocolate, and the rice gave them both a nice texture.

Now I'm not going to go out and buy those mixes again. But it is nice to know that a couple of mistakes can produce something tasty!

1 comment:

Jackie said...

Oh what a wonderful idea. My pantry has a few mistakes as well. Your post has opened my eyes to the idea of using them up.

God bless.