Sunday, February 22, 2009

Seed sales sprout



I guess I'd better hit the garden centers early this year:

From USA Today:
Hard economic times are acting like instant fertilizer on an industry that had been growing slowly: home vegetable gardening.
Veggie seed sales are up double-digits at the nation's biggest seed sellers this year.
What's more, the number of homes growing vegetables will jump more than 40% this year compared with just two years ago, projects the National Gardening Association, a non-profit organization for gardening education.
"As the economy goes down, food gardening goes up," says Bruce Butterfield, the group's research director. "We haven't seen this kind of spike in 30 years."

Personally, I'm glad to see this (though I always thought it was a law in the Midwest that you had to grow your own tomatoes.) I do wonder if we'll see a spike in prices this year. Last year, bell pepper plants were going as high as $6 each in my city.

2 comments:

Jackie said...

I wondered how long it would be in these tough economic times, before people realised how much a garden can save in grocery money.

Hope we can find everything we need.

God bless.

Jackie said...

I think that more and more people are learning that gardening is a great way to save money. I can hardly wait to start ours.

God bless.