So here's what passes as a trash bag at my house:
- 25lb paper sacks from cat litter and cat food. (these are very good for yard waste).
- Large plastic bags from mulch, top soil, etc.
- Large shopping bags (the bags used for big or multiple items at stores)
- Plastic bags from the multipacks of TP, paper towels. (these aren't the strongest, so I save them for lighter materials.)
- Dry cleaning bags. (I use my meal sealer to put a seam across the area where the hanger goes. The result is a bag strong enough to hold a pile of leaves)
We make sure any bag we use can be twist-tied or sealed up somehow. And with paper bags, we take special care during rainy weather...