Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Works For Me Wednesday: Making wipes

I work in an office where we share equipment, so disinfectant wipes are a popular item. To cut down on the cost and the waste, I make my own.
I bought some inexpensive microfiber-type cloths and cut them into sixths. At the beginning of the week, I take the number I need, pop them in a zippered sandwich bag and douse them with rubbing alcohol.
The used cloths go into the washer and dryer with my towels ( or they can be hand washed). I've found they can last for months before they finally start to shred. ...
The savings are startling: Three month's supply of wipes can cost nearly $10. Using reusable cloths costs around $3 ($1 for the cloths if bought at the dollar store and $2 for 2 bottles of alcohol.
Oh, BTW, the store-bought wipes be washed out and "reloaded." Depending on how sturdy they are, I can get one or two extra uses out of them...

3 comments:

Jenna said...

Greta idea! I am running low on Lysol wipes that I got for cheap, but didn't want to go buy more at the retail price. I will have to try this!

Lisa@BlessedwithGrace said...

That is a really good idea.

Patrice said...

Great idea!!