Friday, August 29, 2008

Samples and more

Our work lunches had a little extra treat last week -- got my carmel popcorn cake sample in the mail. (Fortunately, DH is a good sport about trying out the freebies.)
I admit to being a freebie 'fiend.' The mail carrier probably wonders about us, but it's like Christmas morning when those little boxes and envelopes arrive.
Now, it's nice to do a couple of loads of laundry with free soap, or eat a new cereal. But there's one area where these freebies have been a real cost-saver -- my travel budget.
I cringe when I see "travel sizes" that sell for 99 cents and more. It's nice to know that I can pack two travel kits with shampoo, deodorant, toothpaste, antacids, razors and the like for free. And since I have enough to pack an extra item or two, it's saved us a couple of mid-trip "oops, ran out of toothpaste, gotta hit the drugstore" detours.
And oh, yeah, those snacks. If there's a trip on the horizon, I squirrel away those energy bars and other small snacks to take with us. Definitely a money-saver when we're waiting on a flight ... or even on the flight.

No comments: